We are a group of friends who enjoy cycling together - every three years we find a new way to torture ourselves on bikes and then decide to get sponsored so that people can watch us suffer.

So after LEJOG (Lands End to John O’Groats) in 2004 and LeKnees (The Atlantic to The Mediterranean along and over the Pyrenees) in 2007, we are now asking you to support our L’Express ride: Paris to Venice in 2010.

Sunday 12 September 2010

Day 9: The day according to Team B




John H phoned in his report from St. Gallen.

I began the day with the rest of the group, wanting to have a go at one of the big climbs before I turned back. I got my wish as I was basically dragged up one hill up to around 1200m with guys. At this point, about 15 miles in the wrong direction for getting back to Zurich, I decided to I’d better turn round. I’m slower at climbing than the others, not having had the time to train, and I didn’t want to hold them up or myself. I swapped some bread sticks for cheese with they guys and began to retrace my steps.

I didn’t actually take exactly the same route as yesterday, trying a few new routes to vary the scenery, which is amazing, and enjoying fantastic weather for the whole day. At Altstatten, I discovered a nice cycle route which took me out of town in style. However, one road was really tough – climbing up to Gias, I found that the road was 18% which was a nasty surprise. In fact I had so much trouble making the climb that I contemplated chucking out various bits of my kit to lighten the load! At one point, I stopped at a roadside shack, and a woman there asked me why I wasn’t taking the funicular, (I didn’t take it, by the way, honest…). The last bit of the ride was the least pleasurable – on a more main road than I’d have liked, with traffic whizzing past scarily close.

The decision to turn around proved to be very sensible as I only got to my intended campsite at 7.30pm, just as reception was closing. Unfortunately I’m nowhere near any shops, so tea is going to be the left-overs from lunch, and I’ll be falling asleep dreaming of a big breakfast. I’m 6 miles out of St. Gallen, in a nice spot by a river, in the base of a little valley. This of course means that I will have to do a climb first thing in the morning to get out of the valley… I’ve managed over 60 miles, which is a respectable distance, and had a great day’s cycling.

I’d like to wish the A Team all the best for their big climbs to come and a safe ride to Venice.

1 comment:

  1. good you could join them even for a short while - keeps the team together!

    ReplyDelete